Skip to main content

It's Independent Bookstore Day Saturday, April 24, 2021!


 


Today and every day books--new releases, remainders, collectibles, rare finds,, used (pre-read?), sheet music, bookish merch, etc.--need readers to buy them from independent bookstores that keep them in stock and special ordered, just waiting to be discovered and claimed by curious humans of all ages, orientations, ethnicities, nationalities, abilities, shapes, sizes, heights, shades, genders, and personality types who are eager to explore the universes of adventure, entertainment, and information a stellar variety of authors and creatives contribute to the readersphere. Independent bookstores anchor their neighborhoods and serve their neighbors. They're sources of dynamic exchanges of investments in mutual benefits of enrichment—cultural, economic, emotional, and intellectual—engagement, connection, and joy.  

As a person who was born in Washington, D.C., raised mostly in Maryland, and attended college in Virginia, my regional bias leans toward the U.S. mid-Atlantic, and my list of some noteworthy independent bookstores reflects that focus, which is one reason why the link to an earlier nationwide list from Mental Floss is included.  

“Independent Bookstores”  

An ode by Cardyn Brooks as inspired by “Independent Women, Pt.1" by Destiny's Child  


[1] 

Loyalty 

With Daedalus  

Busboys and Poets in the DMV*  

All Indie Bookstores, come on  

Sell, sell, sell  

[2]  

 Question, tell me what you think about books  

D.C.’s Mahogany and Politics and Prose 

Browsing your websites on my celly for awhile  

So many titles and I want them all  

Question, tell me how you feel about staff  

Try to suggest little-known reading gems  

Make book bundles, oh, and they plan fun events  

Always willing to help their customers  

[3]  

The books on my shelves, I bought them  

The books I'm reading, I bought them  

The rock I once rocked, I pawned it  

‘Cause I needed to buy more books with it  

The merch I'm wearing it, I bought it  

The place I live in, I stacked it  

The car I'm driving, I used it  

To get me to the indie bookstores  

[4] 

All the bookstores, that are independent  

Throw your hands up at me  

All the authors, who making money  

Throw your hands up at them  

All the writers, who profit dollars  

Throw your hands up at them  

All the readers, who truly feel this  

Throw your hashtags at me  

[5]  

Stores, I like knowing you sell books like that  

Indies, how your bookstores get down like that  

Stores, I like knowing you sell books like that  

Indies, how your bookstores get down like that  

[6]  

Tell me how you feel about this  

Buy books I want, read what I wanna read  

I researched hard and reviewed every title I could get  

People, it ain't easy being independent  

Question, how'd you like this homage that I brought  

Braggin' on those stacks that you bought yourself is okay  

If you're gonna buy books please get them from indie bookstores  

Support indies, #OwnVoices #StopAAPIHate  

(#BLM #Romancelandia #LGBTQUIA #diverselit #1000blackgirlbooks)  

Repeat [3].  

Repeat [4].  

Repeat [5].  

[7]  

Voracious readers, wassup?  

Books fill your shelves? Sure ‘nough  

We'll sort these genres out, indie style  

Books of interest (Whoa)  

Independent bookstores (Whoa-oh)  

Booksellers take care of readers (Oh-oh)  

Indie bookstores (Oh-whoa-oh)  

Repeat [4].  

Repeat [5].  

*District (of Columbia), Maryland, Virginia (not the Department of Motor Vehicles!)  


Some Noteworthy Indie Bookstores  

Ampersand Books (Rochester, NY) 

Atomic Books  

Attic Books  

Back Creek Books  

Bonjour Books  

Books With a Past  

The Bookstore Next Door  

Bridge Street Books  

Capitol Hill Books  

The Children's Bookstore in Lauraville  

Cricket Book Shop  

Curious Iguana  

The Drama Book Shop (reopening soon in NYC, NY)  

East City Bookshop  

Greedy Reads  

The Greyhound  

Harambee Books & Artworks  

Harriett's Bookshop (Philadelphia, PA)  

Hooray for Books!  

Ivy Bookshop  

Kelmscott Bookshop  

Kensington Row Bookshop  

A Likely Story Bookstore  

Lost City Books  

My Dead Aunt's Books  

Novel Books  

Old Town Books  

One More Page Books  

Powells (Chicago, IL)

Reston's Used Book Shop  

The Ripped Bodice (Culver City, CA)  

S Clarkson Books  

Scrawl Books  

Second Story Books  

Second Edition Books  

Sisters Uptown (NYC, NY) 

Solid State Books  

The Strand Book Shop (NYC, NY)  

Tempo Bookstore  

This Is the Place Bookstore  

Ukazoo Books  

Wonder Book   

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/577201/best-bookstores-all-50-states  

Upcoming book release for bookish folk:  

Mental Floss: The Curious Reader, Erin McCarthy, ed.  

May 25, 2021    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Arrivals Giving BRBF Vibes + BAC Issues

Even as my friends and I enjoyed a fantastic community event yesterday in and around the Bowie Branch of the Prince George's County Memorial Library System, there was envy in my heart for all of the attendees and participants at the Black Romance Book Festival in Atlanta, Georgia. Reports of issues of crowding just made me happy for the event organizers' success while they posted apologies and corrective strategies for crowd control during the last day.  In the meantime, the new arrivals shelves at the closest library in the neighboring county offered a variety of books by BRBF authors. "Where the Melanated Are Celebrated" indeed.   [9 books, from left to right: Positive Obsession, Communion, Big Girl Blitz (atop a bookstack), The Started Ex, Fire Sword & Sea, Leave Your Mess at Home, Archangel's Eternity, It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time, First Sign of Danger]  Currently reading Positive Obsession: The Life and Times of Octavia E. Butler by Susana M. Mo...

Legacies of Octavia Butler & June BAC Issues

It's so exciting to read about a trailblazer who was ethical, thoughtful, generous, and funny in addition to being diligent and multifaceted.   [Positive Obsession atop a bookstack of 7 books - The Last Lady B spine showing, then 6 books showing page edges; Communion propped to the left of the bookstack]  Positive Obsession: The Life and Times of Octavia E. Butler by Susana M. Morris  non-fiction biography  Amistad, 2025  Opening with a quote from Parable of the Sower, this biographer uses every word in the O.E.B. chronology, author's note, introduction, six chapters, epilogue, and acknowledgements to engage readers in an intimate personal study of this extraordinary, talented, driven woman who was vulnerable and complicated in her brilliant humanity. The author's access to the O.E.B. archives adds layers of emotional depth that enrich the context of the details of the author's personal life and creative and professional development. from the Author's Note:...

When What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Funny

Need to laugh out loud? To feel inspired? To feel seen? To feel encouraged to pursue your heart's most ambitious desires despite overwhelming odds against succeeding?   Read Zarna Garg's memoir, which offers an intimate, compelling coming of age, immigrant's journey, family saga, and keen observations about humans and life as experienced by a hilarious, intrepid individual.  [front cover of "Zarna Garg, This American Woman: A One-In-A-Billion Memoir" showing the Statue of Liberty holding the author in her arms with the New York City skyline in the lower half of the background]  This American Woman: A One-In-A-Billion Memoir by Zarna Garg  non-fiction memoir  Ballantine Books, April 2025  Universal themes of family love and family conflict, support and abandonment, grieving as a years' long process with lulls, parenting and being parented (or not), finding your people in friendship, romance, community presented and dissected with the author's sharp wit ...